When the road between you and your partner becomes impassible during conflict, your ability to truly hear each other has been compromised. How can you ensure that you’re hearing and being heard?
- Wait until you’re calm to discuss what’s bothering you.
- Describing how you feel, rather than stating something as fact, prevents a battle of right and wrong.
- Anger obscures your more vulnerable feelings. Ask yourself what’s behind anger’s smoke signal.
- Even if you disagree, let your partner know you’ve heard them.
- Stay positive by talking about what you want, instead of what you don’t.
Read the full article here: The Key to Difficult Conversations with Your Partner